Thursday, December 27, 2007

Improve your gaydar!!!

I'm on vacation until the 7th. I really need to fine better things to do with my time! Today, I wasted time with Tyra. Today's topic: The science of gaydar.



Tyra's guest was a controversial doctor who claims that there are tell-tale signs that can used to prove a person's sexual orientation. A few of the methods are, of course, based on stereotypes that we all know, i.e., the pitch of the man's voice, the way he walks, the activities in which he engages. However, there a few that I had never heard of. Such as:
  1. the "whorl" of a man's hair. Apparently, the direction a man's hair grows in can play a factor in his sexuality. If the hair grows in clockwise, he is usually straight, counter-clockwise, gay. However, one of the test subjects hair appeared to grow in both directions. Does that make him bi-sexual or on the down low?
  2. the length of his fingers: if the middle finger is longer than the pointer finger, the man is usually straight. If the pointer finger is longer or the same length as the middle finger, possibly a gay man.
Needless to say, this is not an exact science. One of the guys on the panel loved outdoor activities such as fishing and hunting, activities normally attributed to a straight man, and was gay. I realize that stereotypes are stereotypes for a reason, but hell, a "science" based on stereotypes. It seemed a bit insulting.

3 comments:

Not Your Average Male said...

WOW... and here, I thought only your toes could grow that way!

How scientific is that? Next thing you know, they'll be pointing to retina size and skin moisture.

Rashard said...

It's not an exact science at all. Hell, it's not even science.

I don't know what's worse this or the actual, honest-to-goodness, dead-serious claim of one of my coworkers that you can tell a woman is a virgin if she's ticklish.

For the record, my mom is ticklish.

Eb the Celeb said...

I saw that episode and aint none of the scientific mess make a bit of sense.