Thursday, August 21, 2008

Oh no, the end of the world is at hand!!!

I'm sure many of you have heard about the Mayan prophecy, right? Well, I just heard about it this week. According to the Mayans, the last day as we know it is on December 21, 2012. Doesn't leave us much time, I suppose.

Ok, so now what? Most of us, I'm sure, are pretty jaded on the whole end of the world prophecies. Weren't we supposed to be all supposed to be dead at the stroke of midnight 8 years ago? Well, needless to say, we are still here.

There are a bunch of prophecies about the end of the world in the bible and I'm sure that there are those people would swear me up and down that every natural disaster proves that these theories are true. Let's just say, I'm not so convinced.

Anyway, back to the Mayans. The prevailing thought is that they stopped their calendar at that specific date because time as we know it will no longer exist. I'm thinking that they stopped at the date because they knew that is was highly unlikely that any of them were going to see that date and tried of writing. That was my first thought.

Notice that I say "time as we know it" and not "life as we know it". Amidst all the end of the world paranoia, there also the thought that maybe the only thing that will change is the way we think about time. The way we keep time. Time has gotten so elusive to many of us these days. Will we finally be able to slow down and realize how precious life is? Spend more time instead of wasting it?

I guess it's just another why to look at the whole prophecy. The truth of the matter is, we will never be able to truly know what the Mayans were thinking. But I tire so with the end of world crap that so many people subject themselves to. If the time has come for the human race to cease inhabiting the planet, I don't think there is much we can do about that. Like the dinosaurs, eventually we may have to go.

2 comments:

CC Solomon said...

Oh, please don't scare me. I will have hardly lived by 2012!

Not Your Average Male said...

Oh, say it ain't so? I have so many women to kiss and goods to shoplift!!

No, I'm just serious.

Considering we have to arbitrarily add another day every so many years, I don't exactly put faith in our timekeeping system.

We're talking about a country that doesn't realize that 2000 was the last year of the millenium, not the first of the new one.